I get asked all the time to write posts on nice kids shoes as I'm always being told how hard people find it to know where to look. It is difficult to find functional and practical styles that look nice too but the kid's shoe market has massively improved in the last few years. I'm a big fan of retro shoes, something to do with my childhood I think (I never was allowed those red patent t-bars!) but have tried to make sure what I show is fairly gender neutral so they can be passed down more easily. Summer essentials for me are Salt-Water sandals (they look cool plus they are waterproof so they can get wet), Natives (a nicer looking croc and quick and easy to slip on, perfect for hols) and Toms canvas shoes. So I've included a few of my summertime favourites including some we have road tested ourselves..
Here are my top 12 unisex kids shoes for summer...click the links below to shop.
Main Image at top: Violet wears - Playsuit Zara, Shoes by Native from Olive Loves Alfie
Finn wears - Tee by Whistle & Flute, old season Leggings by Beau Loves and Sandals by Salt-Water from Olive Loves Alfie
1. Scuba Yellow Birkenstock Rio from Office, £19.99. Based on the traditional cork soled Birkenestock but these are waterproof, washable, shock-absorbent & ultra lightweight
2. Tan Shark Sandals by Salt-Water from Olive Loves Alfie, £42. Finn lives in these at the moment and they are the perfect summer sandal
3. Navy iWalk Canvas Shoes by Bobux from Olive Loves Alfie, £42. You can't go wrong with a canvas shoe in summer
4. Vans X Peanuts Slip On Shoes from Vans, £30. Charlie Brown fun
5. Star Print Lime Shoes by Native from Olive Loves Alfie, £35. These are vegan and they glow in the dark! Violet has been living in hers this summer, they are a much nicer alternative to a croc
6. iWalk Skip Navy Sandals by Bobux from Olive Loves Alfie, £45
7. Red Jelly Sandals from Zara, £12.99. We love the striped sole. Perfect for swimming in the sea this summer
8. Red Canvas TOMS Classics, £25.99. A classic and with every pair you purchase, TOMS will give a pair of new shoes to a child in need.
9. Yellow Sandals from Pom D'api, 89 euros. Yes pricey I know but we did have a similar pair from this French brand one summer for Finn and honestly they were the best quality most comfy things ever!! A good investment if you have some extra bucks to spend
10. Green Step Up Zap Shoes by Bobux from Olive Loves Alfie, £33. Perfect for babies who have just started walking, we love the soft apple green leather. They also come in blue and gold.
11. Tan Seewee Sandals by Salt-Water from Olive Loves Alfie, £36. Vintage looking sandals at their finest. Waterproof coating means you can get them wet too.
12. Navy Fisherman Sandals by Young Soles, from £55. A classic style with contemporary detailing, also comes in tan